1. In large stockpot bring vegetable stock to boil.
2. In the meantime, in heavy skillet, heat oil, add onion and saute until onion is soft (about 3-5 minutes). Add ginger and garlic, and saute for additional 2 minutes. Add Italian parsley, lemon thyme, carrots, tomatoes and lemon peel and saute for additional 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add vegetable mixture to the boiling stock. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 to 30 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
4. Keeping pot handy, transfer soup to blender and puree. (may be done in two batches). Return soup to pot, add lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper if needed.
1. In a large pot, saute in olive oil the onion, garlic and basil. Add tomatoes, crushing them with your hands as they are added to the pot. Mix well. Transfer mixture to food processor, pureeing to a chunky consistency.
2. In a large saucepan begin heating milk, being careful not to boil. In a frying pan, melt butter and slowly add flour, mixing with a wire whip, about 5 minutes. Add butter/flour mixture to milk, stirring well as sauce thickens, about 8-10 minutes. Add this mixture to tomato mixture and heat to holding temperature. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish bowls with a sprig of basil.
Makes approx. 1 gallon, or 15 - 8 oz. servings.
Using a salad bowl, add all ingredients and toss gently. Place in refrigerator and let chill for one hour.
Serves 2-4 as an appetizer
1. In a large stock pot, add vegetable stock. Add potatoes, scallions and celery and bring to boil.
2. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Add dill and lemon juice, and simmer an additional 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Serve with dollop of sour cream and Crispy Pita Wedges.
Makes approx. 10 cups