1. Add tomatoes, garlic, basil and olive oil in a glass bowl. Mix well and set aside.
2. Cut baguette into ¾ in. slices, toast until brown one side, about 2 minutes. Turn bread over, and toast about 1 to 1 ½ minutes. Add cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Spread over baguettes and serve immediately.
Serves 6 as an appetizer
1. In a food processor or blender, combine garbanzo beans, garlic, salt, tahini, lemon juice, cilantro, and olive oil. Puree until smooth, adding the reserved liquid to achieve desired consistency.
2. Hummus can be refrigerated for up to one week, or frozen for up to 3 months. Make up a double batch and store one for unexpected guests!
Makes approx. 16 ounces
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cut pitas in half around the edges, making 8 whole rounds. Lightly brush both sides with olive oil. Season with salt. Cut each pita with pizza cutter into 6 wedges each. Sprinkle wedges with fresh herbs.
3. Using 2 baking sheets, arrange wedges in one layer and bake 10-12 minutes, or until wedges are a crispy, golden brown. Switch trays at 5-6 minutes for more even baking results.
Makes 48 wedges. Serve with Potato Soup with Fresh Dill (see recipe).
1. Mix all ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Chill for 30 minutes in refrigerator.
Makes 2 ½ cups (serve with fresh jicama)